Women today are learning more and more about their healthcare options, especially when it comes to prenatal and childbirth care. Many women are now deciding to include a midwife in their care plan. Midwives can work with you and your doctor for a collaborative care plan that suits you best. Let’s explore some reasons to consider using a midwife.
1. Personalized Birthing Experiences
Midwives can offer comprehensive care that is personalized for you. This can include individualized education, counseling and prenatal care along with the expected hands-on assistance during childbirth. The midwife can also provide postpartum support according to the care model. Some midwives can even help with breastfeeding.
When beginning care with your midwife, you will discuss their “model of care” which includes what kind of physical, psychological and social care the midwife will give the mother through her pregnancy. A midwife can:
- Help with family planning
- Conduction prenatal exams and routine tests
- Determine a birth plan
- Monitor you and your baby’s well-being throughout your pregnancy and after delivery
- Advise you on diet, exercise, and medication plans
- Give you information on pregnancy, childbirth, and newborn care
- Deliver your baby
- Support you emotionally, practically, and physically during labor
- Provide referrals to doctors if needed
2. Choose the Birthing Environment
Often when you choose a midwife, you will have more control over where you can give birth. With a doctor, you are more likely to be tied to a hospital. With a midwife, you can often choose a local birthing center or even home birth.
Given you take safety into account, which your midwife will also make sure of, you should choose to give birth in the place you will be most comfortable. For some people that is at home, for some, it is in a birthing center (often affiliated with a doctor’s office or hospital), and for others, it is still actually the hospital.
3. Midwives Will Collaborate with Your Doctor
Collaborative care between midwives and physicians has proven overwhelmingly to improve maternal-newborn outcomes. Midwives generally champion an environment of consultation and collaboration with other members of the health care team as needed to provide optimal health care. By using this collaborative philosophy, the mother will get the best care possible.
4. A Natural Care Philosophy
Midwives, like those at City of Oaks Midwifery, support the philosophy of the American College of Nurse-Midwives (ACNM). We believe in non-intervention in the normal birth process. When intervention is necessary, we believe in the appropriate use of technology for current or potential health problems.
The benefits of this philosophy include:
- Lower rates of induction
- Decreased risk of needing a C-section
- Decreased of preterm birth
- Reduced rates of Regional Anesthesia
- Less incidence of third- and fourth-degree perineal tears
- Reduced rates of infant mortality
- Greater chance of VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean)
- Increased satisfaction with quality of care
- The possibility of lower childbirth costs
5. Certified Nurse-Midwives (CNMs) are Highly Educated
Certified Nurse-Midwives (CNMs) are educated at the masters or doctoral level. That means they have clinical training that includes almost 700 hours of direct patient care and attendance at dozens of births before they can practice. They must pass a rigorous national exam and then get licensed at the state level. This means you can take comfort that your midwife has the clinical experience needed in a hospital along with the relationship skills you want in a midwife.
6. Midwives Can Offer Well Woman Care Too
There is often a misconception that midwives can only deliver babies. However, midwives are medical professionals that can care for women in a variety of ways. And like with a personalized birthing experienced, you can expect the other care you get from a midwife to be of quality you might not get elsewhere.
At City of Oaks Midwifery, we offer the following gynecological services:
- Well-woman annual exams
- Breast examination and cancer screening
- Pap smear screenings
- Contraceptive counseling and management
- Screening for Sexually Transmitted Disease
- Evaluation and treatment of abnormal uterine bleeding
- Evaluation and treatment of sexual dysfunction
- Menopause management
- Lifestyle and nutritional assessment
- Support for general wellness goals
At City of Oaks Midwifery, we are committed to giving women complete healthcare before, during, and after pregnancy. Along with prenatal care and labor and delivery, we also provide a range of well-woman care. We believe all women should have access to healthcare where they have an active voice in decisions and the right information to make those decisions. If you’re looking for caregivers who respect your integrity and individuality, call (919) 351-8253 to make an appointment at our Raleigh office.